William Oxley Thompson Memorial LibraryTorna alla Lista di Progetti
The Thompson Library is a corner stone to The Ohio State University; it was built in three phases: the original, a Second Italian Renaissance Revival Style Structure opened in 1913; a 14 level stacks tower with wings and pavilions completed in 1951; and a modernist addition to the west, completed in 1977.
The mission of the Thompson Library project is to produce a newly renovated structure that successfully meets the master plan and program objectives of the Thompson Library, through thoughtful management and the deployment of resources.
The Thompson Library, as the Main Library of OSU, serves both as a general library for undergraduates and a research library for graduate students. Faculty in humanities and social sciences also share this building. While the library services and its collections receive high praise from the campus community, the physical environment falls short of its expectations.
The renovated Library will house print-based collections, special collections, reading rooms, study areas, staff services and work areas. Public areas will included a café, exhibit spaces, and a major pedestrian access through the main level of the building. With this renovation the library will also include, the EHS library collection/staff/services, currently located in Sullivant Hall. The vacated space by EHS at Sullivant Hall will be renovated/ modified to create what will be called the Library Technical Center.