Tamayouz Excellence Awards
19. January 2021
AUC New Campus Development in Cairo, Egypt, a project highlighted in the Lifetime Achievement Award to Dr Abdelhalim Ibrahim Abdelhalim. (All images courtesy of the Tamayouz Excellence Award)
Winners in the seven awards and competition programs of the Tamayouz Excellence Award for 2020 have been announced. Established in 2012, the awards draw attention to architecture in Iraq and other parts of the Middle East.
Some of the winners were announced online as early as mid-December, though the most recent award winner wasn't revealed until last week, meaning now we can round up all seven parts of the program. The winners of the awards and competitions are listed below, accompanied by some images. It is recommended to click on the links to read more about the awards, see more images of the winners, and see the lists of jurors. Typically the awards are given at an invitation-only award ceremony that is accompanied by a week of talks and workshops, but the coronavirus pandemic has made that details of that event still to be determined.
Dewan Award for Architecture 2020
Dewan Award for Architecture 2020: Ola Ahmed Maged and Mostafa Hazem.
"The Dewan Award for Architecture, held in partnership with Dewan Architects + Engineers, is an annual thematic prize that calls on participants from around the world to respond to Iraq-specific issues."
- First place: Ola Ahmed Maged and Mostafa Hazem from Giza, Egypt
- Second place: ONE Creative Environment (Jason Whittall, Dan Martyr and Fatimah Al-Muqdadi) from Worcester, UK
- Third place: 2218 Architects (Oğuz Bodur, Sara Kerimi, Nilay Altınay and Anıl Aydınoğlu) from İzmir, Turkey
Rifat Chadirji Prize 2020
Rifat Chadirji Prize 2020: Ali Khaled Elewa, Mostafa Ahmed Zakaria, Sherif Khaled Abdelkhaleq, Ebtisam Mohamed Ahmed Elgizawy and Hoda Essam Abdelmawla.
"An annual thematic prize named after the prolific Iraqi architect and academic Dr Rifat Chadirji...the prize this year was themed ‘living pedestrian bridge over the Nile’ and sought proposals for a bridge that connected the Midan Al-Tahrir area (East Bank) to the Al Zamalek area (West Bank) in Cairo."
- First: Ali Khaled Elewa, Mostafa Ahmed Zakaria, Sherif Khaled Abdelkhaleq, Ebtisam Mohamed Ahmed Elgizawy and Hoda Essam Abdelmawla from Cairo, Egypt
- Second: Tay Othman, Ayman Tawfeeq, Saif Alrudaini and Muzdalifa Jafar from USA/Iraq
- Third: Basel Paşa Haclavi, Mohammed Jawdat Hameed and Hend Osama Ahmed Abdelwahab Abdelrazek from Istanbul, Turkey
International Graduation Projects Award 2020
International Graduation Projects Award 2020: Umme Tahmina Haque from University of Asia Pacific, Bangladesh.
"The award is open to students of architecture, urban design, urban planning, architecture technology and landscape design, who are invited to submit their graduation projects. The award aims to recognize excellence in architectural design and education worldwide, and showcases excellent architectural examples to promote and provoke architectural debate."
- First: Umme Tahmina Haque from University of Asia Pacific, Bangladesh; supervised by Mehrab Iftekhar
- Second: Rajab Elshahubi from the University of Jordan, Jordan; supervised by Saleem Mokbel Dahabreh
- Third: Faber Emilio from the Universidad de los Andes, Colombia; supervised by Juan Manuel Medina del Rio
Iraqi Graduation Projects Award 2020
Iraqi Graduation Projects Award 2020: Laila Al-Azzawi from University of Petra.
"The winners and honorable mentions were selected out of this year’s 139 submissions, representing 18 Iraqi universities and Iraqi students studying abroad. Selection for the top 10 submissions was made based on the award’s assessment criteria, highlighting projects that are aspirational and transformative, and that tackle local challenges through holistic understandings of context."
- First: Laila Al-Azzawi from University of Petra, supervised by Yasmine Soudi
- Second: Noor Karim Khan from Tishik International University – Erbil, supervised by Noman Bayaty
- Third: Dastan Hasan from Tishik International University – Erbil, supervised by Noman Bayaty
Women in Architecture and Construction Award 2020
Women in Architecture and Construction Award 2020, L-R: Lina Ghotmeh, Yasaman Esmaili, Radwa Rostom.
"The award, which celebrates the achievements of female architects in the Near East and North Africa, is split into two categories: Rising Star and Woman of Outstanding Achievement."
- Rising Star Winner: Yasaman Esmaili, Principal at Studio Chahar and Adjunct Professor at University System of New Hampshire
- Rising Star Highly Commended: Radwa Rostom, Founder and CEO of Hand Over
- Woman of Outstanding Achievement: Lina Ghotmeh, Founder of Lina Ghotmeh – Architecture
Mohamed Makiya Prize 2020
Mohamed Makiya Prize 2020: Ali Jaffar Al-Lawati.
"Also known as the Middle Eastern Architectural Personality of the Year Award, [the Mohamed Makiya Prize is] given to individuals or organizations that have made significant contributions to the advancement of architecture in a specific period of time."
- Ali Jaffar Al-Lawati, UK-based Omani architect and radio show host
Tamayouz Lifetime Achievement Award 2020
Tamayouz Lifetime Achievement Award 2020: Dr Abdelhalim Ibrahim Abdelhalim.
"The Lifetime Achievement Award celebrates the achievements of individuals who have made significant contributions towards humanity and the advancement of architecture and the built environment in the Near East and North Africa. The award also recognizes those whose commitments to architecture were and continue to be unparalleled."
- Dr Abdelhalim Ibrahim Abdelhalim, renowned Egyptian architect, urban planner and professor