Shortlist for Architectural Criticism Awards
25. August 2020
The seven books in the running for the CICA Bruno Zevi Book Award 2020
The International Committee of Architectural Critics (CICA) has released its shortlist of books and essays in the running for the Dennis Sharp CICA Awards 2020.
The triennial awards are given out by CICA at the UIA World Congress of Architects, which was originally scheduled to be held in Rio de Janeiro in July. With the coronavirus pandemic, the event is taking place in July 2021 and we are just now learning about the shortlist for the best architectural criticism over the previous three years.
The shortlist of publications is broken down into four categories:
- Bruno Zevi Book Award: For published books on architectural criticism, theory and history;
- Julius Posener Exhibition Catalogue Award: For a critical text, preface or introduction published in an exhibition catalogue or supporting publication produced for an architectural exhibition;
- Pierre Vago Journalism Award: For an article of architectural criticism for individual, institutional or society magazines, newspapers and journals;
- Marina Waisman Digital Communication Award: For Non-print media and publications.
The awards are named for Dennis Sharp (1933-2010), the British architect, writer, teacher and critic, who wrote many books and had an eponymous practice that continues to this day — more than 50 years after he established it.
Bruno Zevi Book Award
- Barsac, Jacques: Charlotte Perriand: Complete Works, Volume 4, 1968-1999, Scheidegger & Spiess, Zurich 2019.
- Berger, Alan; Kotkin, Joel (eds.); Guzman, Celina Balderas (cont.): Infinite Suburbia, Princeton Architectural Press, New York 2017.
- Blau, Eve; Rupnik, Ivan: Baku: Oil and Urbanism, Park Books, Zurich 2019.
- Carpo, Mario: The Second Digital Turn: Design Beyond Intelligence, MIT Press, Cambridge 2017.
- Eigen, Edward: On Accident: Episodes in Architecture and Landscape, MIT Press, Cambridge 2018.
- Vassallo, Jesús: Epics in the Everyday: Photography, Architecture, and the Problem of Realism, Park Books, Zurich 2020.
- Verde Zein, Ruth: Critical Readings, Romano Guerra and Nhamerica Press, Sao Paulo, Austin 2019.
Julius Posener Exhibition Catalogue Award
- Alonso, Pedro Ignacio; Palmarola, Hugo (eds.): Flying Panels: How Concrete Panels Changed the World, ArkDes, Stockholm 2019.
- Gonzales de Canales, Francisco: Rafael Moneo. A Theoretical Reflection from the Professional Practice. Archive Materials 1961-2016, El Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid 2017.
- Vrachliotis, Georg; Kleinmanns, Joachim; Kunz, Martin; Kurz, Philip (eds.): Frei Otto: Thinking by Modeling, Spector Books, Leipzig 2017.
Pierre Vago Journalism Award
- Ciarkowski, Blażej: "Holidays with Totalitarianism," Herito #29, International Cultural Centre, Kraków 2017.
- Ho, Miriam; Jones, Ruth; O’Carroll, Aisling (eds.): "Deviant Devices," SITE #40, The Site Magazine, Toronto 2019.
- Iturbe, Elisa: "Architecture and the Death of Carbon Modernity," Log #47, Anyone Corporation, New York 2019.
- Kamin, Blair: "An Incredible Transformation? Not Really," Chicago Tribune, Tribune Publishing, Chicago 2018.
- Kimmelman, Michael: "Is This the Neighborhood New York Deserves?," The New York Times, The New York Times Company, New York 2019.
- Mollard, Manon: "Form Follows Failure," Architectural Review, EMAP Publishing Ltd., London 2019.
- Mrduljaš, Maroje: "Between Ecology and Spectacle," Oris #117, Oris House for Architecture, Zagreb 2020.
- Murphy, Jack: "Hyperreferential Architecture," Paprika!, Yale School of Architecture, New Haven 2019.
- O’Toole, Shane: "Identity Check," Architectural Review, EMAP Publishing Ltd., London 2019.
- Tuomey, John: "Bringing Heaven Down to Earth: Reading the Plan of Ronchamp," (PDF link) arq: Architectural Research Quarterly, Vol. 23, Issue 1, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2019.
Marina Waisman Digital Communication Award
- Casciato, Maristella; Fox, Gary; Rochester, Katherine: Bauhaus: Building the New Artist, The Getty Research Institute
- Chousein, Berrin Chatzi (ed.): World Architecture Community
- Morley, Jack B. (ed.): The Architect’s Newspaper
- Paolo Mosco, Valerio; Scelsi, Valter; Ferrando, Davide T.: Viceversa
The international jury is comprised of:
- Wilfried Wang (Chair, Germany/USA)
- Fernando Diez (Argentina)
- Karen Eicker (South Africa)
- Louise Noelle Gras (Mexico)
- Süha Özkan (Turkey)
- Xing Ruan (China/Australia)
- Joseph Rykwert (USA/UK)