Four Finalists for 2017 Moriyama RAIC International Prize
In 2014 the inaugural Moriyama RAIC International Prize was given to Li Xiaodong for the Liyuan Library in China. The winner of the 2017 Prize will be announced on 19 September 2017 at the RAIC’s gala event in Toronto.
8 House, Copenhagen, Denmark
This is a bold and beautifully integrated mix of multi-generational housing and universally accessible design. ... 8 House is a worthwhile experiment in the development of a new typology to create a vertical mixed-use community. ... The proposed socio-spatial concept offers a more durable way of densifying housing while maintaining a human scale.
Fuji Kindergarten, Tokyo, Japan
This is an extraordinarily positive place – a giant playhouse filled with joy and energy, scaled to a broad range of the human condition. ... This architecture in its simplicity and uniqueness embodies a pedagogical ideology of early education. ... The limitless structure of the space liberates the child’s imagination.
Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
The spatial concept of an architecture school has become the social focus of the campus for all students. ... It is a beautifully orchestrated space, thoughtfully detailed and well crafted. ... It redefines the educational mission by engaging students with the entire building as a collaborative learning environment.
The Village Architect, Shobac Campus, Upper Kingsburg, Nova Scotia, Canada
In this age of specialization, this contrarian initiative questions the architect’s accepted role, and instead suggests a broadening rather than a narrowing of the current scope of practice. In so doing, the architect is re-established at the centre rather than at the periphery of critical decision-making.
- Monica Adair, MRAIC: Co-founder of Acre Architects and 2015 Recipient of the RAIC Young Architect Award.
- Manon Asselin, MRAIC: Co-founder of Atelier TAG and Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of Montreal.
- Bryan Avery, MBE: Founder of Avery Associates Architects, author, and lecturer.
- George Baird, FRAIC: Founding Principal of Baird Sampson Neuert Architects; former Dean of the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design at the University of Toronto; and 2010 Recipient of the RAIC Gold Medal.
- Peter Cardew, FRAIC: Founder of Peter Cardew Architects and 2012 Recipient of the RAIC Gold Medal.
- Barry Johns, FRAIC: Jury Chair and Chancellor of the RAIC College of Fellows.
- Li Xiaodong, Hon. FAIA: Winner of the inaugural Moriyama RAIC International Prize.